Friday, September 24, 2010

Grapes on a matte finished tile

I was just in the mood to paint grapes last week . . . . I have a project I want to do, but was in the mood to first paint at random on a tile. Murphy's Law came into operation - when you are painting for fun, the work turns out wonderful. When you are serious and want a great painting everything seems to go wrong. This tile was just a bit of fun and it turned out great!

There is pale blue lustre on the background, and I achieved the streaky casual look I wanted.
Unfortunately though, hair cracks in the glaze appeared on the bottom leaf at the last fire.
Urgh! I don't know why this happened - I find floor or wall tiles unreliable to fire. Sometimes they fire well, other times they crack. If you look closely (enlarge the pic first by clicking on it) you will see the tiny lines on the bottom leaf.